A strong November jobs report surprised the market on Friday and sent stocks surging higher. The surprise report showed payrolls adding 266,000 jobs in November, dropping the unemployment rate to its historic low of 3.5%. The Dow gained 300 points on the number, and Apple hit an all-time high ($270.71).
The stage is now set for the upcoming Federal Reserve meeting which is scheduled for the 12th. While they are not expected to touch the key interest rate level—their comments are sure to drive the market in one direction or another.
Now, that doesn’t mean I’ve been sitting around and waiting for this Fed event.
In fact, it’s been business as usual for the TA portfolio:
Total Alpha is the only service where you can find me utilize all my options knowledge and strategies I’ve acquired over the last twenty years. Not a subscriber and would like to join? Click here to get started.
That said, there is plenty to go over in this issue of The Jump— I cover the economic calendar, corporate events, IPOs. As well as, my thoughts on the trade deal, current positions, and trades I’m looking to get into.
The Looming Trade Deadline
While there’s no shortage of rumors surrounding trade talks, we have yet to hear anything concrete. So far it’s one political posture after another. Yet, that all stops dead on December 15th.
Without a deal, the administration is set to raise tariffs on Chinese imports right in the middle of the Christmas season. To add insult to injury, these will directly target many of the consumer gifts purchased. While it will take a while for the pricing to roll through, it smacks of bad taste to come across as Ebenezer Scrooge.
Agricultural purchases appear to be the biggest hangup at the moment. China refuses to be tied to a specific purchase amount, something the Trump administration is dead set on. There could be other underlying problems, but it remains largely unknown.
What we do know is the closer we get to the deadline, the more rumor will be treated as fact. That means every tweet could drive the market haywire in seconds.
The U.S. House of Representatives plans to draw up and vote on articles of impeachment before the holiday recess. Complaints on process and procedure are largely being ignored. The narrative has become extremely partisan, with neither side backing down.
However, the Senate appears rather serious about the entire matter. Neither side wishes things to devolve into the circus that’s hung over the House. Republicans and Democrats largely agree they want a civil trial, regardless of their personal feelings.
Still, the pressure and presence of the showdown could push the president into rash decisions. That could make a budget deal difficult. But neither the administration nor congress wants a shutdown this time. If anything, they will pass a continuing resolution to fund the government at current levels.
Don’t Forget British Politics
December 12th also marks a special day for the UK to go back to the polls to see if they can break a deadlock in parliament. Polls currently show little change, which makes continuing in action all the more likely.
World’s Largest IPO
And don’t forget about the world’s largest IPO that you can’t invest in. Aramco set its public offering on December 11th. With an estimated value of $1.7 trillion. That also comes on the back of news OPEC and some non-members working to hammer out an agreement to keep oil production in check in a bid to raise prices.
NFLX, AMZN, TEAM, FB, CVNA, AMD, PTON
TWTR, WYNN, FANG, EXAS, TPX, BIIB, COST, NKE, TSLA, ULTA, ZS, CMG, SMG, IWM, GOGO, AMZN, HUBS
Want even more trade ideas?
Next Week’s Calendar
Monday, December 9th
- Major earnings: MDB (Mongo Database), TOL (Toll Brothers), SFIX (Stich Fix)
Tuesday, December 10th
- 4:30 PM EST – API Weekly Inventory Data
- Major Earnings: AZO (Autozone), HDS (Home Depot Supply), PLAY (Dave & Busters), GME (Gamestop)
Wednesday, December 11th
- 7:00 AM EST – MBA Mortgage Applications
- 8:30 AM EST – Consumer Price Index – Looking at any signs of inflation
- 10:30 AM EST – Weekly DOE Inventory Data
- 2:00 PM EST – Fed Decision – It’s not what they do, but what they say
- Major earnings: AEO (American Eagle), PLCE (Children’s Place), UNFI (United Natural Foods), VRA (Vera Bradley), TLRD (Tailored Brands)
Thursday, December 12th
- 8:30 AM EST – Weekly jobless claims and continuing claims
- 8:30 AM EST – Producer Price Index
- 10:30 AM EST – Weekly EIA Natural Gas Inventories
- Major earnings: CIEN (Ciena Corp), ADBE (Adobe), AVGO (Broadcom), COST (Costco), ORCL (Oracle)
Friday, December 13th
- 8:30 AM EST – Import & Export prices for November
- 8:30 AM EST – November Retail Sales – Good look at how we did to start the shopping season
- 1:00 PM EST – Baker Hughes Weekly Rig Count
Major IPOs This Week
- Bill.com Holdings (BILL) 8.8M shares expected to price between $16-$18
- OncConnect Financial (OCFT) 36M shares expected to price between $12-$14
- Sprout Social (SPT) 8.823M shares expected to price between $16-$18
- XP Inc. (XP) 72.5M shares expected to price between $22-$25
Click Here to Join Total Alpha (watch this webinar – BEST OFFER HERE!!!)
Source: TotalAlphaTrading.com | Original Link